Thursday 4 October 2007

A breath of fresh air!


Amidst the busyness of life much of our time is spent within the confines of four walls or traffic, as a result it's essential to breakaway whenever possible and head for the great outdoors. Although most of my days are spent at the easel here in my studio I am thankful for the many opportunities I've had to get away from it all and be in some vast expanse of wilderness. Although a beach boy at heart it is a real pleasure to experience diverse locations with their own unique environment, Alaska is one such place I've been privileged to visit.

My first excursion to this magnificent most Northerly State was during winter, the minus 30 degrees was enough to freeze the oil paint and the artist! Being in the wild refreshes my soul and my creativity too, it's a vital element to my work for that reason and also for gathering reference material. Paintings that resulted from my visits to Alaska are "Winter Retreat" and "Noble Eagle", memories etched in my soul and recreated onto canvas.

When I'm not in a far off place I try to get fresh air whenever possible, mostly I'll walk the beach and coastline on my doorstep, ever the beach boy! I love the sound of waves breaking and birds along the shore, it's a healthy place to be. Let's make sure to make room in our days to take a breath of fresh air, it's time well spent and investment for our future wellbeing.

No comments: