Tuesday 9 October 2007

Camera use for reference material?


It's a real pleasure taking photographs during my numerous research trips in the wilderness areas of the world. These photographs are valuable reference material for my paintings, alongside sketches and plein air paintings. I view the camera as simply an extension of my artistic eye, being able to instantly evaluate the compositional potential of a scene a camera then becomes a simple artistic tool to capture the image.

At the moment I'm still using slide film, haven't gone digital yet! There's no doubt that in a year or two I'll finally succumb to the digital age. Slides offer optimum light and colour quality, sharpness too, but the logistics of carrying 100 rolls of film across continents can be a burden at times. Digital cameras have very sensitive sensors that are vulnerable to fine dust and extreme temperatures, however, with much care I'm sure most of the problems can be overcome.

Maybe in a while I'll be sharing some digital experiences here but in the meantime here's a slide photo from one of my African safaris.

2 comments:

annechovie said...

Amazing photo! Glad to have discovered your blog. Cameras are an indispensable aid as one way of capturing subject matter to paint from. I don't know what I'd do without mine.

BAS said...

Thank you Anne, good to hear from you and hope that you're very blessed these days in your creativity and all else. Keep on painting and photographing happily!